Teams playing in Premier Division 1 must comply with the England Hockey League rules relating to 'overseas' players (contained in EHL Regulations 2018-19 Rule 4.2.13).
Men's Hockey League Regulations & Administration.
EHL Regulations 2018-19
- An EHL team shall not be allowed to register more than two players who do not:
- Hold a European Union or UK Passport, or
- Have a permanent right of abode, or indefinite leave to remain, as defined by Sections 1 and 2 of the Immigration Act 1971 (as amended from time to time), or
- Hold a current valid Ancestry Visa or Family of a Settled Person Visa, for a right to remain in the United Kingdom.
- Players from the UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Gibraltar together with those holding dual passport eligibility where one such eligibility is that of a European Union member state will be considered to have no limitation as to their ability to be registered.
- A player who does not hold any passport must be eligible to hold a passport of the UK or a European Union State.
- The onus of proof regarding eligibility is on the registering team.
- The EHCD shall decide any dispute regarding eligibility and shall be entitled to request such written or oral evidence, as it considers necessary.