Teams playing in Premier Division 1 must comply with the England Hockey League rules relating to 'overseas' players (contained in NPMHL Regulations 2013-14 Rule 4.2.14).
NPMHL Regulations 2013-14
- An NPMHL team shall not be allowed to register more than one player who does not:
- Hold a European Union or UK Passport, or
- Have a permanent right of abode, or indefinite leave to remain, as defined by Sections 1 and 2 of the Immigration Act 1971 (as amended from time to time) or.
- Hold a current work permit, as defined by the Immigration Act 1971, or a Certificate of Sponsorship under Tier 2 or Tier 5 of the UK Border Agency Points Based System for migrants, from the club he is registered for as a hockey player or player coach in the United Kingdom and hold a passport for a country with whom the European Union has an agreement containing provisions prohibiting discrimination in employment.
- Hold a current valid Ancestry Visa for a right to remain in the United Kingdom in addition to a bona-fide contract of employment, as a hockey player or player/coach, with the club for whom they are registered.
- Players from the Isle of Man, Channel Islands and Gibraltar together with those holding dual passport eligibility where one such eligibility is that of a European Union member state will be considered to have no limitation as to their ability to be registered.
- A player who does not hold any passport must be eligible to hold a passport of a European Union State.
- The onus of proof regarding eligibility is on the registering team.
- The EHLC shall decide any dispute regarding eligibility and shall be entitled to request such written or oral evidence, as it considers necessary.